Please note:

All posts are meant for discussion, opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Catholic Church or St. Jude.

PLEASE VISIT & BOOKMARK MY NEW BLOG TO FOLLOW Me as I continue my work for the Church at: denvernotredame.blogspot.com. See you there!

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Even in the frozen waters of the North...


Have you ever really thought about the blessings of your life? There are many things which happen to us which the Lord Jesus asks us offer to him and unify our sufferings with Him on the cross. Yet, how many of us just let our whining take over. "Poor me!" "Oh, I can't handle it" etc.

My mother-in-law sent me this website which I find quite encouraging when you read the testimony concerning Fr. Byles as he went to his death. Like a lamb led to slaughter he did not cry, yet he offered himself as a beacon of hope for those who were dying all around Him. What an incredible gift to have been a man who had been given the power to take away those people's sins as they were slipping into the afterlife. Could you imagine? What a blessing to have that ability as a human being! I have often thought that my son too might become a priest. While it is not appropriate to force him into it, it is absolutely our duty as Catholic parents to encourage our children to consider the priesthood or religious life - or at least to be open to it.

Can you imagine the joy of a mother or father to know that your son could have given so much real hope and consolation to those dying in one of the worst tragedies of the day? Certainly, losing a child would be an almost inconsolable loss, one which I pray I will never have to endure. However, if you have to lose a child, what better way than to know they followed in the footsteps of our Lord Jesus Christ - offering their life for another or others.

Perhaps the time has come for us to consider whether we are "whine & dine" Catholics or whether we truly live the cross in our daily lives, which Jesus asked us to do: "Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple (Lk 14:27)." Let us consider what are the little crosses we daily receive and what is the big cross which each of us must accept and offer to God in union with the sacrifice of Jesus so that you and I may "make up what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ (Col 1:24)."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good, Tomas! Should make us all think. Thank you.
Didn't even know about your blog. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Excellent!

Jay Garland said...

Hello Tomas, nice to see you and the RCIA program in the blogosphere. The blog looks professional and with your insight and the Holy Spirit this should be an excellent catecatical tool. I will continue to pray for you and the RCIA team. I miss Tuesday nights there but the Lord has called me to another ministry where Christ's presence is sorely needed. May the peace of Christ which is beyond all understanding be with you and your family.

Your Brother in Christ,

Jay

Jon said...

It would be so beautiful for a parent to truly understand Their child accepting the call of Christ into a religious life. Instead of being upset that their Son, will not have a wife and child, Like the modern world norms.