Please note:

All posts are meant for discussion, opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Catholic Church or St. Jude.

PLEASE VISIT & BOOKMARK MY NEW BLOG TO FOLLOW Me as I continue my work for the Church at: denvernotredame.blogspot.com. See you there!

Monday, August 13, 2007

The Militia Immaculata

I don't know about you, but there have been many times in my life when it seemed like revolution was the only way. Only way to what? Well, whatever I wanted. It seemed like I could get things a lot easier for me if I could just rebel against whatever it is that was getting in my way. How about you? Ever feel that way?

When I finally met Jesus Christ. It began to occur to me that this wasn't the way one could get things. Once you realize there is truly a God who does not want you to be stifled but who truly cares about you and wants only that you find joy beyond what you ever expected, then one begins to realize that maybe there is something to discussion. There is something to making known your desires, especially in prayer. There is something to allowing what you want to be known to the one who cares most fully for you.

As I have begun to mature in my faith, it has become even more clear to me that discussion is good, but it must be coupled with abandonment. It must become discussion with a clear understanding that I am happily not in control of my life. In fact, I can only get in the way if I do not respond to God's love with an appropriate love. Part of loving the Lord Jesus Christ is recognizing that there is only one Lord and it is not me - even if it is still sometimes difficult to live or recognize that.

Nevertheless, I think that is the glory of practicing the Catholic Faith and especially part of being a member of St. Jude. We have some great people at this parish who truly love Jesus Christ - as there are at many parishes. Now, when we love Jesus, then the further gift we are allowed to receive is the gift of his blessed Mother, Mary. She who gave us all grace in Jesus. Many Catholics allow themselves to receive her, but then God is even more gracious in giving us the opportunity to be consecrated to her - that we might be her instruments to allow Christ's grace to work through us by her prayers.

To be consecrated means to entrust ourselves entirely to her care. This is something which we follow our Lord Jesus Christ in doing, if we choose to do it. "What is born of flesh is flesh, what is born of spirit is spirit (Jn 3:6)." So when we are born of Baptism, we are allowed to choose to recieve Jesus' Mother as our own, then more than just receiving her we may choose to abandon or entrust ourselves to her care. And is this not what Jesus himself did by becoming an infant who nursed from her?

May each of us consider the love of God shown through the gift of the Blessed Mother of Jesus Christ, Mary. For this was the wisdom followed by many of the Saints, but especially, in our modern times, of St. Maximillian Kolbe whose feast we celebrate tomorrow - August 14th. St. Maximillian was an incredible man who gave up his life for a husband who was going to be killed in Auschwitz during WWII. Yet, his martyrdom for love was only the beginning. He wrote a number of things and started newspapers devoted to proclaiming the Good News of Our Lord Jesus Christ in print and established radio stations all to honor Mary, the Mother of God. St. Maxilmillian also started a movement called the Militia Immaculata. This an international movement for laypeople to grow in devotion to the Mother of God, Mary. By being devoted to Mary we show our devotion to Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Can you name one person you love who isn't honored when you honor their mother? Believe me, it is no different with the Savior of all mankind.

If you are interested, you can check out http://www.consecration.com/ if you would like more on what it means to belong the Militia Immaculata. I have been a member since 1998. Perhaps, another day I will post the incredible year that Our Mother Mary gave me after I had consecrated myself to her service. I know firsthand what blessings God can give you, if you are willing to be an instrument for Jesus Christ placed in the hands of His Blessed Mother. At any rate, the whole point of this post is to remind each of us, including me, that we should never tire of growing closer to the Almighty God who has shown us His love in Jesus Christ.

No comments: