Please note:

All posts are meant for discussion, opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Catholic Church or St. Jude.

PLEASE VISIT & BOOKMARK MY NEW BLOG TO FOLLOW Me as I continue my work for the Church at: denvernotredame.blogspot.com. See you there!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Real Hope doesn't come from a sinner...



After the Knights of Columbus breakfast this morning at the parish and talking with a few people about it, I think it is appropos to mention how the possibility of a job that I am applying for came into being. It all began sometime before the end of Novemeber. A friend of mine has consistently, every year, promoted a devotion to Our Blessed Mother Mary under her title of the "The Mystical Rose." Apparently, there was a nun in Italy in 1946-1947 to whom our Blessed Mother appeared. You can find the whole story here.

My birthday is also Dec. 8th, which is the day this devotion is to take place. During the Noon hour the blessed mother asked that devotees pray the 51st Psalm and to confidently ask the Father for whatever one desires and, if it is in the will of God the Father, it would be granted. 2008 was the first time I actually remembered about this before 1:00pm (usually I am left slapping my forehead with my palm saying "D'oh" alla Homer Simpson).

Well, in this liturgical year I turned to the Blessed Mother about what was to become of me. I have had yearnings in the last year to revisit my Doctoral dissertation topic and to engage academia again. However, I have loved my time at St. Jude and love teaching the children and adults who have been willing to hear the knowledge I have been blessed to gather in studying the Faith academically for seven years.

Moreover, my class that I taught at the the Seminary in the Spring of 2008 left me with further yearnings. As well, this last year I have had the rare opportunity to teach for the Catholic Biblical School (on the Synoptic Gospels and St. Paul's letters), which has further stirred up the fire that I think is within me about completing my doctorate.

During this time of prayer on Dec. 8th in the noon hour I had felt a call to consider that the (then) new head of the Catholic Biblical School was leaving Christendom to come to Denver. As I was praying for many things, I was struck by this reality, especially the fact that this gentleman was coming from heading Christendom College's study abroad program in Rome.

Unfortunately, as I just recently wrote to all the parents at the parish, I have been laid off as of Jan. 6th, but not effective April 30th, 2009. Again, I thank Christ our Lord for the pastoral generosity and mercy of his priest and my pastor, Fr. Schaffer, in affording me this time to find a new place of employment - especially for the sake of my two children and their insurance. However, when I was told in this meeting about this unfortunate reality, it almost became immediately clear to me that this could be for God's plan, especially as offered through the prayers of our Blessed Mother, the Mystical Rose. Now, I don't have the job yet, but my wife and I are going to Virginia this Friday to receive our 2nd interview for this position. "All I know is that there is a God, and I am not him," so said some famous person. I agree. But I would add, his(and now our) mother is very good at offering us hope since she bore real Hope in her womb.

I wondered at whether I should post about this or not on my blog, but in the economic times in which we live, I think this story of hope is one that I myself may need to remember, should employment continue to elude me after this upcoming 2nd interview. So often in our lives it is easy to prepare with hope, but sometimes harder to actually see the deeper hope that comes beyond things not turning out the way we thought they were going to. The danger, of course, is that like Job in today's (5th Sunday in Ordinary Time) first reading we might find ourselves struggling with despair or at even a defeatist attitude. I will admit here and now, that I am filled with joy at the hope of returning to Rome, though I do have some wonders about how it will practically work out with two small children. Nevertheless, the joy in that is knowing that if this is by the Blessed Mother's doing she will assist us with grace to accomplish the will of her Holy Son and our Lord.

If you happen to remember, please keep my wife and I in prayer this Friday Feb. 13th as we go to this interview. Moreover, and perhaps more poignantly, please keep my parents in prayer as they care for our two kids for the first time that both of them have been away from us for two days.



Oh... and Hi Deacon Chuck!

No comments: