Please note:

All posts are meant for discussion, opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Catholic Church or St. Jude.

PLEASE VISIT & BOOKMARK MY NEW BLOG TO FOLLOW Me as I continue my work for the Church at: denvernotredame.blogspot.com. See you there!

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Regarding a comment on "Who's to say?"


I often wonder about what to write each day. There are many things with which I am busy trying to prepare for the upcoming year. I do my best to make sure every aspect of the Elementary Religious Education (ERE) program and RCIA are well prepared, to the best of my ability. Each day I find myself turning to our Blessed Lord for something to write about on this blog.

Thankfully, for today, I received a response to my post "Who's to say?" which allows me my thought for today. The comment was written to point out that Religious Education has become "autocratic" and "dogmatic" at St. Jude. I am unsure to what this refers. On the one hand, I am not running an autocracy, but nor am I running a democracy or an oligarchy either. Rather, if I had to classify it, I would hope all could recognize that I am doing my best to run a monarchy - though I am certainly NOT the one to whom all pledge obedience. Believe you me, I am very well aware of this monarchical structure to which I too must obey and which we celebrate each year on the Sunday just before Advent on the Feast of Christ the King. I am very aware, and I try to make very sure that each of my catechists are aware, of the Sacred Scripture which directs me as the Director of Elementary Religious Education: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come! (Mt 18:6-7)"

I am further unsure what the commenter means when he or she says that St. Jude is busy "counting the angels on the head of a pin." There has been no forum for theological discussion, rather all Catechesis at St. Jude is directed towards the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which the Holy Father John Paul II called "the sure norm for teaching the faith." In fact, the textbooks we use are the same books that, then, Cardinal Ratzinger - Head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said upon its translation into German that it is "the best catechetical series in the German Language." I would argue that it is also among the best of the English speaking series as well.

Further, the commenter goes on to say, that "the faithful are flooding the parishes that are welcoming and loving and which offer meaningful worship, education, and Christian service." I am not in the business of comparing parishes, as everyone must answer to Christ at the Last Judgment for what they do, as must I. However, I would like to know what is meant by "meaningful worship" and "education?" It is clear from our Holy Catholic Faith that Jesus acts in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass no matter who the priest happens to be. This is the reason why for almost two centuries the Church insisted that priest and people face the Tabernacle. This action reminded us that it is Jesus who acts in the Holy Sacrifice, if only through his instrument - the priest. What is more meaningful than that? Jesus, always and everywhere, offers the Holy Sacrifice in every priest. Certainly, some priests are more gifted than others in homilies, some are more personable, some are more calm, some are more excited, some are more sinful, and some are more holy. Regardless of all of these human traits in the priesthood, Jesus Christ still acts in the Holy Eucharist to bring us Sanctifying Grace.

The commenter goes on to cite recent examples from the parish bulletin from the "Did you Know?" section which I was asked to begin writing. It would appear that the commenter is deriding the focus of educating Catholics about their own faith in minor articles which present well-documented traditions. If the parish is going to begin "meeting people where they are at" shouldn't the parish first know where we are at? We have needlessly lost so much of the Sacred Tradition of our Catholic Faith, and yet parishioners are expected to go out and convert people to it?

As to "whether Jesus would feel this way" I think St. Paul says it best when he says, "I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions [i.e. how people should pray, including bishops and deacons] to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth (1Tim 3:14-15)." I do hope to discuss these things individually, if it will be at a meal, I do not know. However, as I have implied, it is important that we have a sense of the appropriateness of our behavior and actions at Mass. And this is why I have put these articles in the "Did you know?" section of the bulletin: for the sake of education.

As suggested, I don't deny I could use more empathy with people, as I am certainly as sinful as anyone else - a work in progress, one might say. Nevertheless, I don't know why I wouldn't publish your response, dear commenter? If someone is willing to present a serious comment, then I am more than willing to post it. I have already received some nutty responses from internet surfers, which I will not publish, but if a parishoner (or at least coherent internet surfer) is willing to offer some critique, some observation or some suggestion I am more than willing to listen, post and respond to them.

Next, the commenter asks me to call sorrounding parishes to find out about adult confirmations and baptisms, apparently, to gauge my efforts of success. However, I think it is clear to one who would think about it, when it comes to conversions to Jesus Christ and His established Church one should certainly not focus on numbers, rather on substance - especially as one begins this ministry (as I did only 3 years ago). I am very aware that statistically 50% of all Catholics nationwide give up the practice of their faith after one year in the RCIA - that is a staggering number. Some have also pointed out to me that they did not have a good experience in their own RCIA processes in certain parishes - why? Not because they didn't feel welcomed, not because there wasn't nice people to chit chat with, but because there was little substance about why they should stick around after having received their Sacraments.

Finally, the commenter states that we must "approach children and teens at their level." Yes, I agree with this to some degree, however one must also remember that we are teaching Elementary Religious Education. This means that we are supposed to take the children from their level to the next level. It cannot mean that we should merely allow them to be met and stay with them at that level.

Now, I am not sure if the commenter is aware that I do not primarily teach the teens at St. Jude - that is Anthony Gallegos. I am certainly aware of Anthony being involved in many various activities which show teens that "their Catholic faith does not have to exclude healthy teen activities in school, sports, etc." However, I also admire Anthony's understanding that teens are also being formed at the same time in Religious Education (or as it is known "Youth Ministry"). I have experienced the "fruits of his labors" in one teen in particular who has chosen to teach for me and I have seen that this teen CERTAINLY is a witness. The balance that must be struck is recognizing that while teens must have fun, and learn to be witnesses, they must know that to follow Jesus means to be willing to give The Witness, which is Martyrdom for the sake of love (- and just as challenging is the so-called unbloodied martyrdom of living one's Catholic Faith). Knowing the incredible job Anthony is doing with those teens who have accepted the challenge of taking the faith seriously, I can't doubt that people are not "feeling" welcomed. However, I wonder if it could possibly be that some (parents or teens) just aren't willing to take the Catholic Faith seriously?

I should know, because when I went to receive my confirmation I wasn't taking my faith very seriously, only my mom - God Bless her - did! I know that a parent's persistent witness, no matter how modest, can sometimes make or break whether a child takes his or her faith seriously or not (regardless of how welcome they think they "feel" at youth group).

Which leads me back to my original point in my post: "My only sorrow is knowing that others may never be challenged to fully take on the essentially radical Catholic lifestyle. And, as well, my greatest joy is knowing that Christ continues to call others to the radical holiness and obedience of being a Catholic. The only question that remains is where do you, my dear reader, stand?" Because the children, teens, parents and adults of our modern world are dying, literally, to know the fullness of what Jesus came to establish in the world through the Holy Catholic Faith.










No comments: