Please note:

All posts are meant for discussion, opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Catholic Church or St. Jude.

PLEASE VISIT & BOOKMARK MY NEW BLOG TO FOLLOW Me as I continue my work for the Church at: denvernotredame.blogspot.com. See you there!

Monday, July 14, 2008

Don't get me wrong...

I mean, I really do like Frank and Dino - well there music anyway. I don't know if I would have liked them personally. I watched on Netflix, as I think I said, the Frank Sinatra show which was an hour long program in the late 50's (I think). Mostly it has a lot of Frank singing with Ella Fitzgerald joining him at the end.

Frank is Americana, isn't he? I mean can you argue that is not the case, so too with Dino. Especially in the glory of early television where sex and violence was not the norm for our "cultural barometer." My dad actually mentioned something about TV today I found quite striking. He had said that before he went to Korea the Navy showed him movies of people being killed in order to help them prepare for war - what he called "Training Videos." For my dad, modern TV is nothing less than "training videos" for war, or violence anyway.

That got me thinking, along with Frank and Dino - whose hometown I am hours from leaving for, and it made me think of a movie I have yet to see. I checked it out on Youtube, becuase I was wondering about how I heard so much about it. Consider this was in a movie in 1941 (wait for it, after the music):

The motion picture was called "Hellzapoppin," and I would love to see it. There is also a pretty incredible scene in the Marx Brothers movie "A Day at the Races," which I actually own.

All things considered, I think I have lost sight of how much I love Swing dance. I actually won a few contests as Franciscan University while I was there, and started a Swing Dancing Club. It has always struck me how much of a "folk dance" swing dancing is and yet no one promotes it this way.

As our country sinks further into consumerism, I for one will be sure to teach my kids the Great American Swing Dance! Why? Because I think it is one of those things that can be passed on without a bit of money, and you will always have fun once you learn how to do it! Dancing is a natural and integral part to most any society, and yet we are so busy in the United States we are forgetting our dances - I include in this Square Dancing too, which I always loved when I learned it in 3rd & 4th Grade [Thank you Mrs. Card!]

I mean, COME ON!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA! Let's get back to the business of enjoying ourselves without violence, shall we?

No comments: