Please note:

All posts are meant for discussion, opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Catholic Church or St. Jude.

PLEASE VISIT & BOOKMARK MY NEW BLOG TO FOLLOW Me as I continue my work for the Church at: denvernotredame.blogspot.com. See you there!

Friday, July 11, 2008

Was it a real "board?"



I have to admit: I have always liked Frank Sinatra. But I was thinking about my previous post and the article put together by Prof. Nicolosi. One wonders how would things have been different if the Chairman of the board were known for his Catholic way of life, as opposed to being the "swinging hepcat" that he is known to have been. Now please notice that I am making no judgement calls on Mr. Sinatra, I hardly know that much about him. But I was watching a late late night informercial about the Dean Martin's Celebrity Roasts. I think these seemed like really funny shows, and I am saddened that I never saw them and really don't want to spend the money to get them from Gunthy Renker to get them.

But it struck me how much Frank Sinatra was seen as the hipster old guy who was a so cool. It was very odd. I really began to wonder about why, as a Catholic, he never tried to promote the faith (or perhaps he did and one just never hears about it today with all the other things being promoted by other celebrities).

I leave next week for the Franciscan University of Steubenville. Steubenville, you may know - besides being, according to Cardinal Stafford, an instrumental part of the renewal of the Church in United States - also just happens to be the birth place of Dean Martin. Every time I go there I always enjoy going to Karaoke with a friend of mine and I always sing a Dean Martin song. But reading that article also has made me think about what legacy do these two men, Dean and Frank, have? For the world they were two beloved men who entertained and shared their lives with hundreds of thousands if not millions of people over the course of their lives. But how much did they promote their belief in Jesus. Perhaps they did, as I said, but I have never found anything about it (not that I have actually looked).

On the other hand, when you watch the Frank Sinatra show (which you can watch one episode if you have Netflix) it is awesome how moral it seems to be compared with the sex, violence, apathy and cynicism we have today on the airwaves of American radio and TV.

I guess, at the end of the day, what I am getting at here is that I hope that my life will somehow help others to know Jesus. I just finished teaching two classes at the Archdiocese of Denver for the Catechetical School and it was truly an incredible experience to help (hopefully) people to know the Catholic Faith a little better.

May each of us reassess what our legacy will be for the world. Particularly, one wonders what will become of our President - and I am not taking either political side here - but a "funny" thing happened on the way from the G8 summit! And please God may my legacy be to have helped to established the Reign of Christ! Please pray for me!

No comments: